We’re working with Handsworth Library to create a bus stop gallery for On Our Way. We’re looking for volunteers to join us!
We’re especially looking for North Birmingham folks who have current or past connections to Soho Road and the surrounding area. We want to hear from you!
Why are you making bus stop galleries?
- This work is a development from our Bus Boycott Block Party – a day where we celebrated the community spirit our grandparents had and the kind we felt in the pandemic.
- The idea is that each bus stop gallery design is a sponge which reflects the experiences of the participants who contributed to it. They’ll be different but also part of the wider family of bus stops.
- Here’s a blog that explains how this idea came to be.
- The Handsworth Library bus stop gallery will be a bus stop that is close to Handsworth Library.
What will I be doing?
- You’ll be working with our artist-curator Nilupa Yasmin to make over one bus stop that centres Handsworth Library.
- You will take part in an online workshop on COLLAGING. It will take 2.5 hours (breaks included)
- You’ll be creating your own artwork during the workshop. Whatever you design will be a part of the Handsworth Library bus stop gallery design.
- You do not need to be “artsy” to take part! Think of it as chatting with us, listening to music, and spending an afternoon just crafting away.
- To help you make your collage, you’ll get your own tailor made art pack materials.
Anything else to be aware of?
- We’re looking for volunteers above the age of 18.
- We are running one online workshop to produce the artwork.
- Due to the uncertainty of COVID guidelines post-Christmas, we have had to move this online. That’s why we will be sending participants an art pack of materials.
When is the workshop?
Friday 28 January, 2pm – 4.30pm.
I have some questions!
Please get in touch with Aksana – our Producer via [email protected]
- Have any questions, write ON OUR WAY in the subject line.
- Would prefer to provide a video or voice file or filmed BSL for the entire application. Please contact us before signing up so we can ensure that all of your files are received.
So if you would like to volunteer, please fill out our form. The deadline is 12 January. Looking forward to hearing from you!